The Uganda national rugby Sevens (7s) team left on Sunday to South America for the inaugural World Rugby Sevens Challenger Series. The team was officially flagged off on Friday by the State Minister for Sports Hamson Obua at the Kyadondo Rugby Grounds in the presence of the Uganda Rugby Union (URU) executive led by President Godwin Kayangwe and National Council of Sports (NCS) General Secretary Dr. Bernard Patrick Ogwel.
Captain Michael Wokorach noted that despite being African champions twice in 2016 and 2017 on top of going to the 2018 Sevens Rugby World Cup, the national sevens squad have not received enough support from the government.
“We lack a bit of facilitation more in terms of allowances, medical insurance and bonuses,” Wokorach noted. Head coach Tolbert Onyango summoned a 12-man squad for the 2020 World series with Uganda drawns in Pool C alongside Germany, Italy and Paraguay. The two legs of the inaugural World Rugby Sevens Challenger Series will be played in Chile from February 15-16 and Uruguay from February 22-23. Uganda Rugby Sevens team reached this stage after coming second in Africa Rugby Sevens last year.
Uganda Sevens Squad
- Pius Ogena (Betway Kobs)
- Desire Ayera (Stanbic Black Pirates)
- Ian Munyani (Betway Kobs)
- Levi’s Ocen (Daystar Falcons)
- Solomon Okia
- Isaac Massa (Stanbic Black Pirates)
- Adrian Kasiito (Betway Kobs)
- Aaron Ofoywroth (Hima Cement Heathens)
- William Nkore (Stanbic Black Pirates)
- Norbert Okeny (Betway Kobs)
- Philip Wokorach (Bourges XV)
- Michael Okorach (Hima Cement Heathens)